[SPOILER ALERT] 'Aldnoah zero season 1 review'

Chat about anime not necessarily part of our screening here
TOMA
Lifetime Member

[SPOILER ALERT] 'Aldnoah zero season 1 review'

Postby TOMA » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:54 pm

All right! Finally, this is done! (At least I didn’t take 15 years to complete it). This is my ‘Pre Season 2 review of Season 1 of Aldnoah Zero’. As the season 2 is going to be on air soon enough, I decided to focus on the tropes and the ending of season 1.

For those of you who have forgotten about what it’s all about, here is a summary of the story: during the Apollo missions in an alternate history, humans found alien artefacts on Moon, which is a ‘hyper-gate’ that provided easy access to Mars. This led to colonization on Mars and the migrants discovered more alien artefacts. Among them, there are the technologies called ‘Aldnoah’. All these technologies led to the birth of the ‘Vers Empire’ on Mars. This empire claimed all the Aldnoah Technologies to be theirs and is hostile to Earth. Eventually, a war broke out and costed both sides dearly.

Fifteen years after the war suspended by a truce, The Vers’ Princess, Asseylum, decided to visit the United Earth for improving the diplomatic relationship between the two planets. Unfortunately, all hopes of reconciliation went up in flame when the princess is, supposedly, assassinated. War broke out again—literally with a bang.
The two protagonists of the story: Inaho, who is a ‘Terran’ Japanese student who has received military training (the same goes for his classmates), and Slaine, one of the most trust worthy servants of the Asseylum, together with many other people, will be violently, and surely, sucked into the turmoils of war centred around Asseylum, the only key of defusing the situation without more bloodbath.

For audiences who have been watching anime in the past ten years or more, ‘Aldnoah Zero’ is obviously full of Tropes. So, let’s talk about them first. While ‘Code Geass’ is the obvious one and some people actually claimed this anime is referencing ‘Call of Duty’, (we will talk about this later) there are several others seem to be overlooked by fans. For convenience, let’s list them out one by one.

1. ‘Getter robot’ and many other super-robots :
I believe at least some people have recognized that ‘Aldnoah Zero’ is basically a showcase of ‘battles between real-robots and super-robots’. While the ‘Kataphrakt ‘ of U.E.F. (Earth/ Terran) seems to be more realistic, practical and tactical, (just like the ‘Labors’ in ‘Mobile Police Patlabor’) the Vers’ Kataphrakts are literally an array of old school mecha. From ‘laser eyes’, energy shield/ swords, rocket fists and the famous ‘combination’, the Vers have them all. The result is that every mecha battle is a cross-over of different kinds of old school mecha.

2. Brighter than Dawning blue (Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na):
This one needs a little explanation. ‘Brighter than Dawning blue’ is originally a Japanese hentai visual novel that was released in 2005 and became very popular among the ‘moe’ fandom at Japan in the past few years (the anime of ‘My sister can’t be that cute’ actually made a parody of it in the form of cameo). The story is basically a sci-fi romance: in the future, humans have colonized moon, making an united Earth (Earth Federation/ UN) and the moon (Kingdom of Sphere) two independent nations. War broke out between the two planets and only end when the casualty is too much for both sides. Years after the war ended, the princess from moon, Feena Fam Earthlight, decided to pay a good-will visit to Earth as an overseas student, hoping to ease the tension between the two countries. She met the protagonist, who is a member of the princess’s homestay on Earth. Of course, somewhere along the line, there is an assassination attempt.

If there is anyone who still couldn’t see the similarity between the two stories, please feel free to talk to me.

3. Starship troopers (the epic novel, NOT THAT derping FAKE, WHICH ARE THE MOVIES!)
Look at how those Terran Kataphrakts fight. Listen to the explanation of the cause of wars that was given by Inaho, and hell! ‘COMBAT DROP’—with mecha! How is ‘Aldnoah Zero’ not mimicking Starship troopers? Ok, the first Gudnam is heavily referencing ‘Starship troopers’, so, one can argue it’s only an indirect referencing.

I got to say, Gen Urobuchi just loves to toy with stereotypes and clichés. I guess that’s why people call him ‘Urobitching’.
Now, let’s talk about the ending. From a hind sight, ‘Aldnoah Zero’ could be another ‘Magical Girl Madoka’: first presenting a plot that seems to be following established formulae, only to surprise you with a twist at a point no one ever expect. I admit, I love this as much as I hate it. However, in the case of ‘Aldnoah Zero’, there is a chance that it may become a liability, especially for the ending of season 1. Look, with the PVs of season 2 came out now, we know it’s not game over; we know that people that are dead are not dead—not yet, at least—so, here are the questions: what, why and how.

If the season 2 can give audiences great answers to all these three questions, GREAT JOB! It will be epic. Otherwise, ‘Aldnoah Zero’ will be remembered forever…. as an EPIC FAILURE.

‘ALDNOAH.ZERO Second Cour’ will be on air in Japan tonight (10-01-2015). We will see.
It's a good day to die! When you know the reason why.
Citizens! We fight for what is RIGHT!

MANGA, GAMES, ANIME!

A noble Sacrifice!
When duty calls, you pay the price!
For the animation, I will give my LIFE!

Synthetic Organic
Coordinator

Re: [SPOILER ALERT] 'Aldnoah zero season 1 review'

Postby Synthetic Organic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:36 am

I've skipped right to the very bottom to say this:

I CAN'T READ IT! I NEED TO WATCH SEASON 1 FIRST!

That is all. But thank you for uploading the review! Once I finish watching season 1, I will read this.

TOMA
Lifetime Member

Re: [SPOILER ALERT] 'Aldnoah zero season 1 review'

Postby TOMA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:35 pm

No worry, take your time. ^_^
It's a good day to die! When you know the reason why.
Citizens! We fight for what is RIGHT!

MANGA, GAMES, ANIME!

A noble Sacrifice!
When duty calls, you pay the price!
For the animation, I will give my LIFE!

Return to “General Anime”